Terms and Conditions: Brisbane Writer’s Festival Microfiction Award 2018
Presented by The University of Queensland
1. This competition is by the Brisbane Writer’s Festival and presented by The University of Queensland.
2. You may participate in the competition only on these Terms and Conditions.
3. You may participate if you live in Queensland and are aged 15 years or over.
4. You cannot participate if you are a BWF/UPLIT employee or an immediate family member of one of our employees. An immediate family is a spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child, step-child, parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, or step-sister.
5. The competition is a game of skill in which chance plays no part in determining the winners.
6. The competition is FREE to enter.
7. You are responsible for any costs associated with accessing the competition, such as Internet access, scanning, uploading or other fees or charges.
8. To enter, you must complete the Entry Form on the Microfiction Competition page, including all the required details, and submit your story within the word limit during the competition period. We will not accept emailed, posted, incomplete, indecipherable or late entries.
9. The competition period commences at 5pm AEST, Monday 30 July 2018 and closes at 11.59.59pm AEST Sunday 12 August 2018.
10. You may submit only one story. It must between 100 - 200 words. It must be your original work, and must be previously unpublished.
11. Once you have submitted your story, it is final and you cannot withdraw or edit it.
12. By entering the competition, you grant permission for and license us to publish your story (along with your name or pen name) on the BWF website, in the UPLIT newsletter and on social media platforms, and to read it aloud at the award presentation on Saturday 8 September 2018 as part of the Brisbane Writer’s Festival Program. You agree that we may edit your story for obvious minor typos before publication or reading aloud, if required, where it does not substantially change the work. By entering the competition, you do not assign the copyright in your story to us.
13. There are 3 categories in the competition: 1) Open, 2) University student and 3) High school student aged 15 years or over. The prize for the winning author in the Open category is AUD1000, in the University student category is AUD650 and in the High school student category is AUD350.
14. We will appoint one or more judges to decide the winner in each category. The decisions of the judge(s) are final and we will not enter into any correspondence.
15. The shortlisted entries in each category will be announced by email and social media.
16. The winners will be announced during the Brisbane Writers Festival 2018 program.
17. You agree that, if you are a winning author in any category, you will not enter your winning story in any competition held after the announcement of the competition winners.
18. If you are not eligible to participate in the competition, we may disqualify you, at any time. We may also disqualify you if you tamper with the entry or submission process or otherwise act to prevent us from verifying whether or not you are eligible. We may disqualify you at any stage of the competition, and any failure or delay by us in exercising these rights does not constitute a waiver.
19. If, for any reason beyond our control, this competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as we reasonably anticipated, then, in our sole discretion, we may modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the competition, in whole or in part.
20. To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all liability (including for negligence of any kind) we, our officers, employees and agents might otherwise have for loss or damage of any kind (including loss of opportunity) arising in any way out of the competition, including, without limitation, by reason of: (a) any technical difficulty or equipment malfunction (whether or not under our control); (b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; (c) any entry or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (before or after we receive it); (d) any change in these Terms and Conditions; (e) any tax liability incurred by you as a winner or entrant; or (f) your use of a prize. By entering the competition, you release and discharge us and our officers, employees and agents from every such liability.
21. We collect personal information in order to conduct the competition. We will not disclose your personal information to a third party. We may, for an indefinite period unless otherwise advised, use the information for our own promotional, marketing and publicity purposes, including sending you electronic messages or telephoning you. You may direct any request to access, update or correct your personal information to us: [email@example.com]
22. We may change these Terms and Conditions at any time, without prior notice, by posting the changed terms on the BWF website.